« Home

(Mis)Identifying Terror

I was browsing through the results from the USA Today poll that came out this weekend. One question in particular jumped out at me. When asked how concerned they would be if the government were to use the call records program to misidentify innocent Americans as terrorist suspects, almost two-thirds said they were somewhat to very concerned. Given what little we are being told about what the government is doing with this information, it is not unreasonable to be concerned for the potential for innocent Americans to be swept up in the process.

Because when the government goes looking for terror, no one is safe.

Update: Laura Rozen thinks they are targeting us deliberately and has a nice analogy involving a hammer and nails. Guess who the nails are?

Update II: Rahul Majahan has an great post highlighting just some of the things the government could decide to do with all this data.

Because when the government goes looking for terror, no one is safe.

I would say that terror is not all the government is looking for, but what do I know, right? I'm becoming the worst kind of conspiracy theorist in my dottage.

Post a Comment