« Home

Target: USA

I saw a commercial for this the other day. Apparently CNN is devoting a whole day to showing "where America is most vulnerable to terrorist attack". Now aside from the shear gall of fear-mongering for ratings, something I would like to know is: should we really be tipping off the terrorists like this?

Think about it. One of the reasons that the NY Times was assailed as treasonous for revealing the warrantless wiretapping program was because they were tipping off to terrorists that we were spying on them. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, in a laughable moment of testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, said "But if they're not reminded about it all the time in the newspapers and in stories, they sometimes forget."

Now CNN is basically giving them a smorgasbord of where our weaknesses are?

Don't expect calls of treason to ring out this time around though. Nothing like a good terr-athon to scare up some ratings (pun intended) and help boost a few poll numbers before the elections.

I don't think the bad guys need CNN to tell them where the USA is most vulnerable. By now, everyone knows the ports are wide open and few Federal dollars have been allocated to protect them by the Bush junta.

True, but if we don't hear similar calls of "treason" from the right, it will only cement their hypocrite status.

Not that they care mind you, I'm just sayin'.

I suppose I'm a pragmatic, if not fatalistic, kind of guy whe it comes to security, both national and my own.

This morning, I read a liberal blogger in DC write some fairly hysterical stuff about his fear of "trains blowing up," which suggested he was really concerned for his personal safety. It was the kind of stuff you usually encounter from rightwing bloggers who've bought the whole Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/neocon organization of reality.

I just don't fear such things. I know when I get on a plane, baggage has been checked, luggage scanned, and thousands of air marshalls are in the air. I have no fear of flying, or taking a train, or subway or cruise ship.

The Bush administration derives its power from fear-based tactics designed to make us passive and receptive to an expanded role of government authority and the police, coupled with weakened Constitutional rights and civil liberties.

Or so they want us to believe.

I have no fear of flying, or taking a train, or subway or cruise ship.

Well...other than the fear of mind-crushing boredom courtesy of your friends at TSA. (Sorry, I'm being snarky. We're not actually there yet. Soon...maybe. But not yet.)

Post a Comment