« Home

A Tragedy Hits Close to Home

I don't normally write about personal things on this blog. But after what I learned this morning, I can't help but feel compelled to do so in this instance.

Calvin Calvert is perhaps one of the bravest men I have ever had the privilege of knowing. I first met him when he regaled my elementary school class with his prowess with an ROTC rifle. It wasn't until years later that our friendship came into being. He and I and our friend Mark were literally inseparable. We were the three. The trio. If one of us was absent, the group just wasn't whole. We spent just about every waking hour together, gallivanting all over the place, scarfing down burgers at 4 am as we laughed and recounted the evenings events.

And even when Calvin went to serve in Iraq, spearheading the drive to Baghdad with the 101st Airborne, I just knew that the men in his unit rested a little easier knowing Calvin was with them. For if there were any man I would take into battle, it would be Calvin.

Which is why when I learned of the tragic fate that has befallen my dear friend, my heart breaks. For I know the type of man that Calvin is and how this must be affecting him. And though he may never read these words, I hope that he knows there are those who care about him.

My thoughts are with you my friend.

- Travis